Summer Food Adventures 2015

This blog post compiles all the amazing food I ate this past summer. From new restaurants to old favourites, I tried many different cuisines and sweets. I hope this post entices you to try some of the places and fall in love with the food like I did! 

Bang Bang Ice Cream
93 Ossington Ave, Toronto, ON M6J 2Z4
This place has got to be the most instagrammed ice cream parlour in Toronto. Everyone has probably at some point seen a picture of the Hong Kong styled ice cream option and trust me it’s worth the type. However, it is on the pricey side so if you don’t want to be splurging money, you can definitely just try one of their many unique ice cream flavours. I have also tried their cream puffs ice cream option and it was very tasty. At the end of the day, you can’t go wrong with any of the options you get here.


Hula Girl Espresso Boutique
2473 Dundas St W, Toronto, ON M6O 1W9
This was a café that I visited regularly before work during the summer. It’s a cute discovery and local café in The Junction. I always got a dark roast coffee and their homemade dark chocolate cookie. If there’s one thing you should try, it’s the cookie! When I say they are good, I am not kidding!


Raijin Ramen
3 Gerrard St E, Toronto, ON M5B 2P3
Revisited this restaurant and the food was just as good as the first time. This is a Japanese noodle bar in Downtown Toronto. If there’s one thing that you try here, it is the Teriyaki style Raijin poutine. The noodles here is also a perfect meal for a quick bite downtown.


The Cold Pressery
4310 Sherwoodtowne Blvd #5, Mississauga, ON L4Z 4C4
The Cold Pressery is an organic juice bar that just opened this summer. For all you Sauga people, if you like treating yourself to a tasty and healthy drink or treat, you should check this place out. I tried the Tropical Green smoothie and Acai bowl here.


Dark Horse Espresso Bar
215 Spadina Ave, Toronto, ON M5T 2C7
This coffee shop is located at a super convenient location. I always found myself here when I had to work on some things, or when I was in between free time. I really like the atmosphere and open space concept this store has. I’ve tried their flat white and London fog, and both are tasty.


From Left to Bottom Right:

Little Nicky’s Coffee
375 Queen St W, Toronto, ON M5V 2A5
The best homemade tiny homemade donuts- that’s all I have to say.

Italian Coffee Shop (Sorry Forgot the Name)
Yorkville, Toronto
I got a quick coffee here in the morning. It was actually really good coffee. I quickly skimmed the menu and they also offered pizza for lunch and other Italian food.

Bake Shoppe
859 College St, Toronto, ON M6H 1A1
This is a neat little bakery shop on College. The store also had a pop up this summer at the Bloor Street Market outside of Club Monaco. Highly recommend the pecan square here! But you should definitely eat it with a coffee or tea, as it’s rather sweet.

The Tenant of Parkdale
1267 Queen St W, Toronto, ON M6K 1L4
This is a neat little café in Parkdale. I spent some time here reading and it’s a great place to people watch. The store also has a mini clothing/ bookstore on the side. Pretty hip.


From Left to Right:

Bang Bang Ice Cream
Cream puffs ice cream

Wholefoods
Hazelton Lanes, 87 Avenue Rd, Toronto, ON M5R 3R9
Wholefoods’ gelato selection is surprisingly good and I always get their coconut lemon flavour. So tasty.

 

Old School YYZ
800 Dundas St W, Toronto, ON M6J 1V1
This place is another new restaurant this summer. Old School YYZ is the hip neighbourhood restaurant that you wished you had (well I definitely wished I had). I tried the ribs and chicken and waffles here. Both were so hearty and filling, I fell straight into a food coma afterwards. I also tried their sangria. Overall, I really enjoyed my experience here, and it’s a great place to have a lunch or dinner on the patio.


Summer’s Ice Cream
101 Yorkville Ave, Toronto, ON M5R 1C1
All time favourite ice cream parlour. I’ve been going here since I was a little kid and it never disappoints. I usually resort to the Pistachio or Almond Butter Toffee flavour but sometimes I try other flavours. What I like particularly about the ice cream here is it’s rich flavour. Always get a waffle cone even if you’re a cup person (just ask for a cup on the side).

 

Queen Street Warehouse
232 Queen St W, Toronto, ON M5V 1Z6
Queen Street Warehouse is another very popular restaurant that just opened this summer. Everything on the menu here is $5. I’ve tried a number of different things here and all are very good for the price you’re paying. The vibe here is super chill, and the music they play is dope as hell.  If you haven’t visited yet, you’ve been missing out.


From Left to Right:

La Societe
131 Bloor St W #211, Toronto, ON M5S 1R1
La Societe has dollar oysters on Thursday and I finally got around to trying them out for myself. They’re not bad at all. If you’re ever in Yorkville, definitely consider this restaurant.

The Wilcox Gastropub
30 Eglinton Ave W, Mississauga, ON L5R 3E7
A rather nice restaurant to be situated in Mississauga but eh I’m not complaining. The restaurant served western food and I tried their oysters (dollar oysters!), chicken pot pie, and lobster poutine. Overall, I  really enjoyed my experience here and the food was really tasty. It’s a nice place to dine with your friends (instead of always going to the Jack Astor’s near Square).


Kasamoto
115 Yorkville Ave, Toronto, ON M5R 1C1
The restaurant anyone and everyone talked about this summer. Kasamoto is a modern Japanese cuisine restaurant that opened in July. I took my mother here for her birthday, and it was an overall good experience. The restaurant’s interior design is beyond divine, and the food was tasty. However, the price doesn’t really justify the quality. It’s definitely somewhere you should experience at least once but not a place I would go often.


Khao San Road
326 Adelaide West, Toronto, ON M5V 1P7
This summer I discovered the amazing world of good Thai food. I’ve never tried actual Thai food before this and it was life changing (I love Thai food even more now). I ordered the Pad Thai at Khao San and holy shit. It was so good. You have to try it or anything on the menu really.


The Porch
250 Adelaide St W, Toronto, ON M5H 1X6
The Porch is a 19+ rooftop patio, and it’s a super fun and relaxed place to hang out during the summer. I ordered The Bulldog there. It’s margarita mixed with a bottle of corona and served in a beach pale. I also got the Apple Baked Pancake for brunch. The pancake was too sweet for me, but if you have a sweet tooth you would like this dish.


Stoney’s Bread Company
325 Kerr St, Oakville, ON L6K 3B6
Despite the fact that I was starving, the food here was very good. The restaurant had a different style of ordering where you would have to pay for your order first, and then the waiters will bring your food to your table. The menu was pretty overwhelming. There were so many options, but there’s no wrong choice with anything on the menu.


Homemade 
All the goodies I made this summer (that I photographed)
Bun Thit Nuong, Corn Flakes Chicken Wings, Acai Green Smoothie Bowl, Salmon Salad, Acai Green Smoothie Bowl, Tofu Salad, BREAKFAST, Asian Noodles, Fish Tacos

Labels: